The South African Academy of Engineering is a young, non-profit, independent institution with some 163 fellows (February 2011). The objectives of the Academy are to promote excellence in the science and application of engineering for the benefit of all members of the public in South Africa.
The Academy comprises South Africa's most eminent engineers of all disciplines and related professionals with proven ability and achievement. It is able to take advantage of their wealth of knowledge and experience which, with the interdisciplinary character of the membership, provides a unique source with which to meet the objectives.
Being a young organization, the present activities of the Academy are still limited. Activities presently being developed include inter alia:
- Providing a forum for discussions of issues relevant to the formulation of public policies for engineering based activities.
- Organising projects, symposia, meetings and discussions to make best possible use of the multi-professional expertise of the fellows in support of national goals.
- Promoting the innovative application of engineering in South Africa to improve the quality of life of its people.
- Promoting the recruitment, education, training development of engineering and technical persons from previously disadvantaged groups to increase the technological base of the nation.
- Enhancing excellence and innovation in South African industry by participating in the Annual Technology Top 100 Presidents Awards for export achievement.
- Establishing and maintaining relations with overseas Engineering Academies and the International Council for Engineering and Technological Sciences.
Election to the Academy is by invitation only. Up to some 20 new fellows may be elected annually who have made exceptional contributions to engineering. They are elected by their peers for personal achievement of exceptional merit and distinction. Fellows are distinguished by their title "Fellow of the South African Academy of Engineering" and use the designatory letters FSAAE.